UEFA has launched an investigation after Inter supporters were denied entry to Tuesday’s Champions League game against Porto despite having tickets to the game.
Ahead of the round of 16 second leg, footage surfaced on social media showing hundreds of fans queuing to get into the Estadio do Dragao at the start of the game.
Porto had announced earlier in the day that Inter spectators who bought tickets at home, even if through the club, would be turned away.
But Inter claim an agreement has been reached that their fans will be allowed to attend the game if they wear neutral colors.
European football’s governing body UEFA confirmed on Wednesday that the matter was under investigation.
“UEFA was made aware that a large contingent of visiting fans had obtained tickets in the home sections of the stadium,” said a spokesman.
“UEFA regulations stipulate that five percent of the stadium capacity must be made available to the visiting team in a separate area for their fans.
“Responsibility for the safe management of spectators and the associated ticketing policy are determined by the match organizer and the relevant authorities.
“Mitigation measures have been discussed between both clubs. UEFA are currently examining the matter.”
Inter secured a goalless draw and advanced to the quarter-finals of the Champions League with a 1-0 aggregate victory.
The Italian club’s managing director Beppe Marotta dedicated the result to those unable to get into the ground.
“We celebrate this passage, which Inter have not achieved for 12 years, we pay tribute to our coach, our players and the fans present,” he told Sky Italia.
“I would also like to think of the around a thousand fans who stayed in front of the stadium despite buying tickets regularly.
“I’ve seen footage of families cooped up outside, of crying children flown in from Italy.
“Football has to represent unity and joy, so this is a bitter side to an otherwise wonderful evening.
“We had met with the local authorities this morning and they reassured us that fans would be allowed beyond the away area borders. Instead, this did not happen.
“These were mostly families with children who were certainly not here to commit acts of violence but to support their team.
“I don’t think the situation was serious enough to bar them from entering the country.
“We know that UEFA is not to blame, but we believe that with a formal complaint we can prevent something like this from ever happening again.”